Confession #1: I worry way too much about people’s opinions of me.
Confession #2: I’ve been shrinking back from being myself because of how people might perceive me.
Confession #3: I’ve been avoiding this blog because I’m afraid that people might label me as “basic” (or whatever other label we so easily slap on people these days) if I write about the things that I love and that get me excited.
Vulnerable Moment – Why I’m not currently blogging or writing:
- Everyone has a blog now. I don’t want people to think I only have one because it’s cool or because everyone else has one.
- Do I even have anything to say that’s worth being said or that people will want to read?
- I’m not qualified. Her blog is so much better and everyone loves her. I’m just me.
- What if I can’t keep to a schedule or post regularly and I fail at this again?
- People will judge me for the things I choose to write about
SO WHAT?! Kylie, who even cares?
I don’t know when I became so afraid of what other people might think. God has given me passions and dreams and an excitement for things for a reason. I may not know the full reason yet, but I do know that hiding is not part of His plan.
I’ve been ashamed and embarrassed for something I haven’t even taken a real swing at yet. I’ve talked myself out of something before I really ever started. That’s exactly what the devil wants. These doubts have sidelined me for too long. I’ve never been a good spectator – I’m much too competitive for that. The drive to play (and WIN) the game is finally back.
I’ve always believed that blogging, or writing in general, should be for me first. As long as I’m enjoying it and I’m proud of the content I’m producing approval from an audience should not matter. It’s so easy to get caught up in thinking content has to be liked by a wide audience and please everyone, but I’d much rather stay true to me. I want to write. I love writing and I’ve missed it dearly. But, I want to write about things I love – no matter what anyone else thinks.
So, with all that being said, here are some things I love and things I fully intend to write about and share my love of them with you:
- Christmas. Disney. Music. Target. Home wares. Worship. Lists. Planners. My cat. Travel (fun fact: I’ll always choose mountains over beaches).Books. Makeup products I’m currently obsessed with. Food and health.
- Ramblings and rants. Not the complaining kind of rants, but the kind where I have lots in my head and it feels like I’ll explode if I don’t get them onto (digital) paper. I have lots of thoughts and stories and you’ll get to read it all here first.
- My story. I think there’s so much beauty in a person’s story. For so long I doubted my own because it wasn’t as exciting or eventful as the next. Recently I’ve been learning how special my story is and how maybe it could even help someone. My family is the best part of me and a big part of my story. I can’t wait to tell you all about the Chalfants. It would be an honor to sit down to story time with you.
- Jesus. He’s in everything I do so it’s only natural that He’ll be in all the things I say. This journey of learning more about Him and learning more about me in the process is the best, most beautiful thing. He’s brought me SO far and made my future SO bright. I can’t wait to share with you all the things I learn along the way.
I told you I loved lists.
These are things that bring me so much joy and I’m not going to shrink back or produce content based on what I think people like or will read. Nope. This is me. This is what I like. This is what gets me excited. So this is what I will write about.
(Confession: I’ve had “This Is Me” from Camp Rock in my head the entire time I’ve been sitting here typing…)
No more hiding.
No more shrinking.
No more fear.